The pond was created by Piers Patrick (1861-1870), with the bronze fountain of the Boy with Two Dolphins being added by James Duncan (1870-1889).
Rhododendrons form an integral part of Benmore’s history. They were one of the main drivers for finding a West Coast garden, as the conditions and space at Inverleith were not suited to the numerous new species that were being bought back by Forrest, Wilson and Rock.
Staff on an RBGE seed collecting expedition to Bhutan in 1984 were inspired to create a microcosm of the Bhutanese mountains at Benmore.
The fernery was built in 1874 by James Duncan, at a time when Victorian Britain was gripped by fern fever.
The hilltop view point is sited at the highest point of Benmore (137m above sea level) and offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and the Holy Loch.
The Courtyard gallery offers a diverse range of activities throughout the year.
Pucks hut was designed by the Scottish architect Robert Lorimer as a memorial to Isaac Bayley Balfour – the man who first thought of creating a West coast botanic garden.
In a magnificent mountainside setting on the Cowal Peninsula in Argyll lies Benmore, an enchanting Garden steeped in history and surrounded by dramatic scenery.