Descending into Edinburgh airport and picking out landmarks is generally the way to pass the time in anticipation of landing in the capital.
On a return flight our Director of Horticulture anxious to confirm the Garden was still here was nonplussed to observe a mass of yellow at its centre. This is the young foliage of Quercus rubra “The Red Oak”, introduced from Eastern North America in 1724.
The tree is set to the north east of Inverleith House and the broad spread canopy of foliage visible from many points in the Garden. There is a cultivar ‘Aurea’ and this may be a representative of it. As the season progresses the foliage turns green and as a finale produces desirable autumn colour.