The days are getting longer and all the lovely weather this week has got everyone thinking about the garden. So here is a quick guide to veg growing jobs for March
- Finish preparing the soil for sowing seeds. The aim is to create a fine ‘tilth’ – a nice crumbly structure that is ideal for germinating seeds.
- Soil can be warmed by covering it with cloches or black plastic a few weeks before sowing.
- Erect bean poles and pea sticks before planting the seeds or young plants.
- Sow a range of crops directly outdoors, on a windowsill, in a propagator, or undercover (cloche or greenhouse) .
|Sow outside||Sow undercover (cloche or greenhouse)||Sow in heat (windowsill or propagator)|
|Beetroot, Broad Beans, Early Peas (best started in a gutter in the greenhouse then slipped into a trench), Brussels sprouts, Kohl Rabi, Leeks, Lettuce, Radish, Parsnips, Spinach Beet, Early Turnips||Summer cabbages, early cauliflowers, early carrots||Tomatoes, celeriac, peppers, aubergines and cucumbers|
- Continue to harvest overwintering vegetables. We are harvesting leeks, kale, chard, parsley and oriental greens.