Fagus sylvatica ‘Dawyck’ was a chance discovery by Sir John Naesmyth, one of the past owners of the estate. In 1860 he came across an unusual looking seedling near Dawyck Mill, and had the plant transplanted to the grounds of the house, so he could keep an eye on its development. It developed into a tall, thin column, quite different to the typical growth form of the common Beech.
The original tree is still growing in the grounds of Dawyck House, but it is not open to the public. However specimens propagated from this can be seen growing around the garden, including on the bank above the Swiss Bridge and beside the car park.