Tag: Garden FeaturePage 1 of 2
The two entrance borders to the Palm House were filled with the tuberous Begonia ‘Non Stop Yellow’ in May….
Today marks the 100 year anniversary since this date in August 1914 when Britain entered what was to become the First World War. As a tribute to all…
Maintenance Maintain a weed free root zone. Water establishing plants in a prolonged dry spell. Only cut when the bird nesting season is over. Forming the shape…
When does a hedge become a windbreak? The attached image illustrates Ilex growing in the Garden. As a windbreak the plants are left to grow, gaining not just…
Continuing from last weeks post with the theme of flowers requiring warmth to release their scent is Iris unguicularis ssp. cretensis. A delightful compact species with, at bud…
The John Hope Gateway opened in October 2009, it is RBGEs biodiversity and information centre, and the main entrance to the garden at Inverleith.
The first rock garden at Inverleith was built in 1871 by James McNab. Whilst rockeries (landscaped features with rocks) were popular, the concept of a rock garden designed for true alpines was new.
The woodland garden was developed during the 1930s and 1940s, with large conifers planted to create a climate for Rhododendrons and other woodland plants which benefit from a more shaded aspect.
The lawn in front of Inverleith House provides an opportunity for visitors to relax and take in a spectacular panorama of the city, stretching from Calton Hill (left), along the length of Princes Street to Edinburgh Castle rising up on the mound (Right).
The pond was created by Piers Patrick (1861-1870), with the bronze fountain of the Boy with Two Dolphins being added by James Duncan (1870-1889).
Rhododendrons form an integral part of Benmore’s history. They were one of the main drivers for finding a West Coast garden, as the conditions and space at Inverleith were not suited to the numerous new species that were being bought back by Forrest, Wilson and Rock.
Staff on an RBGE seed collecting expedition to Bhutan in 1984 were inspired to create a microcosm of the Bhutanese mountains at Benmore.
The fernery was built in 1874 by James Duncan, at a time when Victorian Britain was gripped by fern fever.
The hilltop view point is sited at the highest point of Benmore (137m above sea level) and offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and the Holy Loch.
The Courtyard gallery offers a diverse range of activities throughout the year.
Pucks hut was designed by the Scottish architect Robert Lorimer as a memorial to Isaac Bayley Balfour – the man who first thought of creating a West coast botanic garden.
In a magnificent mountainside setting on the Cowal Peninsula in Argyll lies Benmore, an enchanting Garden steeped in history and surrounded by dramatic scenery.
The terrace offers views over the exotic walled garden. This area is planted with tree echiums, invoking the spirit of the canary islands where they are native.
This area is dominated by the magnificent Gunnera manicata, which has formed a vast, almost impenetrable colony.