This handsome monument honours the great Swedish botanist Carl Linnaeus, who popularised a system of sexual classification of plants in the 18th century.

It originally stood in the previous incarnation of the Botanic Garden on Leith Walk, having been commissioned by the Regius Keeper John Hope who was a great advocate of Linnaeus and his system.

A variety of designs were produced by the celebrated architect Robert Adam, with the simplest chosen: an ovoid, handle-less urn, atop a plinth, decorated with a carved mask and swags, and a marble inscription.

Built of Craigleith sandstone in 1779, just a year after Linneaus’ death, it is one of the oldest monuments to this great botanist in the world.

When the Garden moved here in the 1820s, the monument was regarded as so significant that it was moved at the same time. It has stood in several locations, and is currently found at the rear of the main glasshouse range.

     


    Garden Buildings: Introduction

    Building for Nature Buildings have been important to gardens for thousands of years – from the humble wooden shed for potting to magnificent glass palaces in which to...

    Inverleith House

    Inverleith House was designed by David Henderson in 1773 and built the following year. It stood at the heart of Sir James Rocheid’s estate, which comprised not only...

    Caledonian Hall

    Built by the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society when this part of the Garden was under their care, the Caledonian Hall is a beautiful example of a Victorian exhibition...

    East Gate Lodge

    William Henry Playfair was responsible for some of Edinburgh’s grandest buildings, including the Royal Scottish Academy and the National Gallery of Scotland, but the East Gate Lodge is...

    The Herbarium

    Officially opened by HM The Queen in 1964, the Herbarium and Library was built to house the collection of three million preserved plant specimens held by the Royal...

    The Linnaeus Monument

    This handsome monument honours the great Swedish botanist Carl Linnaeus, who popularised a system of sexual classification of plants in the 18th century. It originally stood in the...

    Main Glasshouse Range

    When built in 1967 the 128 metre long main glasshouse range was regarded as the greatest innovation in glasshouse design in a century. The then Curator of the...

    The Temperate Palm House

    Completed in 1858, the Temperate Palm House is the tallest traditional Palm House in Britain, with a height of 21.95 metres. Designed by Robert Matheson, the glasshouse cost...

    The Botanic Cottage

    Designed by two of the most renowned’ architects of the 18th century – John Adam (brother of Robert) and James Craig (designer of Edinburgh’s New Town plan) –...

    The John Hope Gateway

    Named after one of the most visionary leaders in the history of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, the John Hope Gateway is one of the best visitor welcome...